Sub cables

Discussion forum for all things related to home theatre

Sub cables

Postby Kaka » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm using 5m of junk to connect to my M&K sub, and am looking at trying something more capable.
The cable I'm using did a poor job taking DVD sound to a pre-amp, so the only way is up.

The possibilities seem rather endless :

MIT
Nordost
Blue Jeans
Analysis Plus
Wireworld
Harmonic Tech
Audioquest
Audience
dh Labs
Stereolab/Stereovox
Synergistic Research (perhaps not, US$500+)
and more ...

Anyone had experience with any of these ? Or similar ?

Ta
Kaka

Re: Sub cables

Postby WitchdoctorGaz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Kaka I’d plump for either the Audioquest or Blue Jeans cable route. Blue Jeans in particular, years ago when 5.1 multichannel audio was popular (remember SACD/DVD-A?) I bought an analogue 5.1 interconnect from them - it was a very good set of Belden cables with nice quality turbine rca plugs. It did the business for not too many bucks.
They’re nicely constructed and well shielded from RF.

Gazz
Audiophilia 101: Nerdy twits sitting in sweaty lounges listening intently to their stereos with their eyes closed whilst forming a perfect equilateral triangle between seating position and loudspeakers in the pursuit of the ultimate musical truth.
WitchdoctorGaz
Influencer

Postby Kaka » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Blue Jeans sub cable brought a smile to my face - it is made of exactly the same cable as their interconnects, and AV interconnects, so not quite optimised for purpose.

It's probably decent stuff though, as plenty of their customers return for more and sing their praises.
Kaka

Postby WitchdoctorGaz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 pm

Kaka wrote:Blue Jeans sub cable brought a smile to my face - it is made of exactly the same cable as their interconnects, and AV interconnects, so not quite optimised for purpose.

It's probably decent stuff though, as plenty of their customers return for more and sing their praises.

I don’t know too much about their sub cables but I’m impressed with the 5.1 interconnect (my only Blue Jeans purchase). I guess it all comes down to how much you want to fork out - I’m using a 5m length of bog-standard 75ohm Monster Cable for sub duties at home.
I’d have thought a nominal 75ohm shielded cable would be fine - is there be any difference between dedicated subwoofer cables and standard analogue interconnects in terms of shielding/impedance/construction etc Kaka? :D
Audiophilia 101: Nerdy twits sitting in sweaty lounges listening intently to their stereos with their eyes closed whilst forming a perfect equilateral triangle between seating position and loudspeakers in the pursuit of the ultimate musical truth.
WitchdoctorGaz
Influencer

Postby ummagumma » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 am

I'm still using a no-name 5m cable to my M&K and it does a great job. If it went any louder and deeper I'd have EQC back for an inspection. This is the only component/cable that I haven't changed since my original purchase.
Wadia 301 CDP
Perreaux Audiant 80i
Perreaux SXV2 Phono
Rega P2 (Groovetracer Mods)
Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII
Kimber Kables
ummagumma

Postby robocop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 pm

No such thing as a SUB cable, believe me really you should run a cable as good as your best interconnects. I'm running Nordost one down from Heimdall on subs with Heimdall as interconnects.

I know they were pricy but WOW anything you do to improve the BASS improves the whole sound. Harmonics of bass influence the midrange and high frequencies.

I went from Mogami studio ref cable to these Nordosts the difference was huge.

All music frequencies are critical so why should you use a cheap cable on the BASS. Perhaps for home theatre and movie watching only NERDS where sound is a poor second.

But music(bass) deserves better, easier to hear also.
robocop

Postby ummagumma » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:11 pm

ummagumma wrote:I'm still using a no-name 5m cable to my M&K and it does a great job. If it went any louder and deeper I'd have EQC back for an inspection. This is the only component/cable that I haven't changed since my original purchase.

Man, can't believe I wrote this. I will never jest again about bloody earthquakes!! EQC are on the way!! :shock:
Wadia 301 CDP
Perreaux Audiant 80i
Perreaux SXV2 Phono
Rega P2 (Groovetracer Mods)
Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII
Kimber Kables
ummagumma

Postby Kaka » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:58 pm

I've got a length of Nordost installer I/C heading to the sub now and it hasn't been night and day.

But something else was.

I've been reading HDMI reviews and went for a Wireworld Ultraviolet from the bluray to the receiver. Cleaner tops, stronger bass lines, more dynamics. I've been testing against another cable using Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scotts, which is really good off DTS (I've got the CD too, so knew what to expect).

The Wireworlds are priced very reasonably in NZ relative to the US and UK too, which is always a pleasant surprise.
Kaka

Return to Home Theatre