Home Theatre - WitchdoctorGaz's system

Discussion forum for all things related to home theatre

Home Theatre - WitchdoctorGaz's system

Postby WitchdoctorGaz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:51 pm

I do, but it takes a firm back seat to my HiFi listening.
My HT gear comprises of:

Cambridge Audio BD650 Blu-Ray player
Pioneer VSX-LX70 Receiver (I run pre-outs to the Korsun amplifier for front L&R duties)
Panasonic DMR-XW350 HDD/DVD Recorder with Freeview
Panasonic PT-AE4000 LCD Projector
Not a terribly expensive screen (Kingsmark)

Here's where it gets interesting - the loudspeaker dept.

Either:

a) Castle Harlech/Castle Bastion Front/Centre
b) Voigt 'Vofo' Fostex fullrange/Loth-X Ion 3 horn/transmission line hybrid centre

and

Castle Richmond 3i rear surrounds (way too good for this job)
Castle Classic subwoofer

I'll add a few pics to this thread as soon as I can.
Audiophilia 101: Nerdy twits sitting in sweaty lounges listening intently to their stereos with their eyes closed whilst forming a perfect equilateral triangle between seating position and loudspeakers in the pursuit of the ultimate musical truth.
WitchdoctorGaz
Influencer

Re: Home Theatre - WitchdoctorGaz's system

Postby AshleyK » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:44 am

Who uses full range speakers in a home theatre environment? You're a strange one mate. :) How do they sound doing movie duty compared to the Castles?

Also, how much of a difference do you notice between running your front L&R speakers direct from the Pioneer vs. going through the Korsun?
AshleyK
Site Admin

Postby WitchdoctorGaz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:18 pm

AshleyK wrote:Who uses full range speakers in a home theatre environment? You're a strange one mate. :) How do they sound doing movie duty compared to the Castles?

Also, how much of a difference do you notice between running your front L&R speakers direct from the Pioneer vs. going through the Korsun?

Well they're fullrange single driver speakers, not run as 'full-range' in a HT context. I simply use the pre-outs from the Pioneer into the Korsun - these are configured to crossover at 80hz.
I've connected the system this way because it would be a PITA changing speaker cables all the time (HT = 15% of my listening/Audio = 85%).
Audiophilia 101: Nerdy twits sitting in sweaty lounges listening intently to their stereos with their eyes closed whilst forming a perfect equilateral triangle between seating position and loudspeakers in the pursuit of the ultimate musical truth.
WitchdoctorGaz
Influencer

Postby AshleyK » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Ok but do the front speakers sound dramatically better via the Korsun? You'd think so but as usual, I'm curious...
AshleyK
Site Admin

Return to Home Theatre