I had a chat earlier today with Jason Parmenter, of Parmenter Sound and it looks like he’s the latest in a long line of Kiwi amplifier builders. He’s got a new valve amp project on the go – covering monoblock power amps and a matching preamp.
The 40 W GM70 monos will use drilled and laser cut pure copper upper and lower plates in a hard wood chassis, which will be finished by a custom guitar/violin wood working shop. Weight will be in the region of 38-40kgs per mono.
For tech heads, the design includes the following touches:
- 6C45Pi interstage coupling to 2A3 interstage coupling to GM-70 output transformer.
- 2A3 and GM-70 will use MiX Bias topology (half auto/half manual) with bias meters in front.
- All interstages, output transformers, DC chokes and power transformers will be potted in black casings and use SILK winding technology and material.
- The thick flat OFC copper ¾” bus ground can carry over 300 Amps.
- Silver solder on all joints
The transformers are almost wound, so we expect to be able to hear the new amps in 4-6 weeks. RRP is still TBC